Quantcast
Home / News Stories / Vernon M. Geddy Jr.

Vernon M. Geddy Jr.

Vernon M. “Bud” Geddy Jr., a past president of the Virginia Bar Association and former mayor of Williamsburg, died June 27 of cancer. He was 79.

Mr. Geddy was a lifelong resident of Williamsburg.

During World War II, he served in the Army Air Force in the Marianas and the Philippines from 1944 to 1946. After the war, he attended Princeton University, graduating in 1949. Three years later he earned a law degree at the University of Virginia law school, where he was an editor of the law review.

He returned to Williamsburg to practice law with his father. He was in a series of partnerships throughout his legal career, the most recent firm being Geddy, Harris, Franck & Hickman.

Mr. Geddy was elected to Williamsburg City Council in 1968 and served as the city’s mayor from 1970 to 1980.

He was president of the Virginia Bar Association for the 1972-73 term.

Mr. Geddy was a Trustee of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation from 1980 until 1995 and a member of the Colonial Williamsburg Hotel Properties Board from 1983 to 1995. He served on numerous other boards, including those of: The Virginia Historical Society, The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, The Jamestown/Yorktown Educational Trust, WHRO Public TV, the National Center for State Courts, The Salvation Army, Williamsburg Community Hospital, the Greater Williamsburg Community Trust and United Virginia Bankshares.

He was a lifelong member of Bruton Parish Episcopal Church, where he was a Sunday school teacher, a member of the vestry and a trustee. He was a trustee and president of the Bruton Parish Church Endowment Fund Inc.

Survivors include his wife, Marie Lewis Geddy; one son, Vernon M. Geddy III of Williamsburg; one daughter, Anne Lewis Geddy Cross of Hanover; and five grandsons.

Oakley James “O.J.” Graham Jr.

Oakley James “O.J.” Graham Jr., who practiced law in Richmond for 50 years until his 2001 retirement, died June 26. He was 79.

Mr. Graham was an avid bridge enthusiast who began playing the card game while a student at the University of Richmond. He was a founder and part-owner of the Bridge Center in Richmond; the center hosts a tournament every July for the O.J. Graham Trophy, which he donated. In 1996, he was elected to the Richmond Bridge Association’s Hall of Fame.

Mr. Graham, a native of Richmond, earned his law degree from UR in 1951.

He began practice as an associate with the late Beecher Stallard. He then opened his own general solo practice. From 1980 to 1994, he served as secretary and a director of A.W. Bennett Co. Inc., which owns Bennett Funeral Home.

Mr. Graham was a 50-year member of the Richmond and Virginia bar associations. He was a member of the First Baptist Church in Richmond.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Virginia Hanks Graham; two daughters, Alice James and Fay Berryman; and a sister, Fay Walton, all of Richmond; and three grandchildren.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

 

Scroll To Top