Chapter 6: Special Features and Practice Area Pages
Published: May 26, 2008
This chapter focuses on the Special Features section and the Practice Area pages.
Each year, VLW publishes a number of unique projects which provide valuable information to the legal community. On our Web site, we’ve created a section which houses the online version of each of these features. Special Features can be accessed through the tab on the top navigation bar and its pull-down menu.
These Special Features are:
• Virginia’s Largest Law Firms. The annual survey, published in April, ranks law firms in the commonwealth by the number of Virginia-licensed attorneys working in offices located within Virginia. The survey includes location(s) of offices, addresses and phone numbers. Enhanced listings include additional information, such as the firm Web site address, areas of practice, firm contacts and other significant data.
• Virginia’s Largest Verdicts. Each January, VLW compiles a list of the past year’s verdicts of $1 million or more, as reported in our Verdicts & Settlements section and from other news sources in the commonwealth. To make the list, the verdict must be for at least $1 million, returned by a jury in Virginia – not a judge – and returned within the previous calendar year.
• New Associates’ Salary Survey. The New Associates’ Salary Survey tracks the current trends among top-paying law firms. These figures are watched by both large and small firm lawyers across Virginia, and generally reflect the state of the marketplace. The Special Features section also includes a Summer Associates’ Salary Survey.
• Leaders in the Law. Every year, VLW recognizes attorneys who accomplished something significant within the past 12 months – those who changed practice, advanced the law or improved the justice system in Virginia. In late fall, VLW puts on an awards event in Richmond honoring these leaders.
• Other Features. From time to time, VLW will develop other special projects or supplements to the paper. You can find these in the Other Features section, along with recent lists of those who passed the Virginia Bar Exam.
Pages in this section can be viewed by anyone who comes to our site, and do not require a username or password. Special features are also searchable in through the VLW Archives.
Practice Area Pages
The Practice Area pages are a valuable and time-saving resource for attorneys who are interested in staying up to date on news and opinions in a specific area of the law.
If your practice concentrates on criminal law, you may not want to wade through articles and digests relating to civil and administrative cases to find the information you need. The Practice Area pages assist you by breaking down our most current news stories and opinion digests into six different areas of law practice: Business Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Family Law, Personal Injury and Real Property.
On each of the Practice Area pages, you will find links to the five most recent news stories and 20 most recent opinion digests relevant to that particular area of law.
To access one of these pages, select a category in the pull-down menu under the Practice Areas tab in the top navigation bar. Subscribers will need a username and password to view all stories and digests. To register for Web benefits, click here.
Throughout the year, we will continue to enhance the Practice Area pages. This includes the addition of RSS feeds, which will alert you when new material has been posted.
© Copyright 2013 Virginia Lawyers Media. All Rights Reserved.