Seven candidates will be interviewed by the Augusta Bar Association next month for two soon-to-be-open judgeships in the Shenandoah Valley.
The seats belong to Circuit Court Judge Humes J. Franklin Jr. and General District Court Judge William D. Heatwole. Both judges are retiring.
According to The News Leader, the candidates seeking the circuit court seat are:
- Steuart Thomas, of the Staunton firm of Timberlake Smith Thomas and Moses
- Charles Ricketts, who has served as a juvenile and domestic relations district court judge
- Rupen Shah, chief deputy commonwealth’s attorney for Augusta County
Shah is also seeking the general district seat. Other candidates for the general district judgeship are:
- Tate Love, with the Staunton firm of Black Noland and Read
- David Ledbetter, an assistant commonwealth’s attorney for the City of Waynesboro
- John I. Hill, with the Waynesboro law firm of Poindexter Schorsch Jones and Hill
- Shelly James, a Harrisonburg attorney