The Virginia Women Attorneys Association has given its highest recommendation to two of the ten candidates for an upcoming vacancy on the federal bench in the Western District of Virginia.
Both U.S. Magistrate Judge Robert Ballou and Salem lawyer Elizabeth Dillon were approved as “highly recommended” in the VWAA’s April 1 letter to Virginia’s two U.S. senators.
The following candidates were listed as “recommended”:
- U.S. District Court Clerk Julia Dudley
- Roanoke lawyer John Fishwick
- University of Virginia law Prof. Rachel Harmon
- U.S. Magistrate Judge Pamela Meade Sargent
- First Assistant Federal Public Defender Fay Spence
The other three candidates – former Del. Ward Armstrong, federal public defender appellate attorney Christine Lee and Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeb Terrien – were identified as “qualified” by the VWAA.
U.S. Sens. Mark Warner and Tim Kaine will make recommendations to President Barack Obama who will make an appointment to the judgeship, subject to confirmation by the Senate.