The Senate Courts of Justice Committee is scheduled to interview 20 additional candidates for the Supreme Court of Virginia and the Court of Appeals on Dec. 12.
The 9 a.m. session was prompted by discontent among some senators about the limited list of candidates offered by leaders for a judicial selection session in November.
No similar new interviews have been scheduled for the House of Delegates Courts Committee.
“They will whittle their list down and then, at a later time, we will interview their top candidates,” said House courts chair David B. Albo.
Besides five candidates already interviewed, the following prospects are set to appear before the committee, according to a list provided by the legislative staff:
9:00 a.m. Supreme Court of Virginia
- W. Coleman Allen Jr. (Goochland)
- Judge Rossie D. Alston Jr. (Manassas)
- Judge Randolph A. Beales (Henrico and Mecklenburg)
- Judge Stephen R. McCullough (Spotsylvania)
- L. Steven Emmert (Virginia Beach) (Candidate for both courts)
- Christy A. McCormick (James City County) (Candidate for both courts)
- Thomas J. Byrne (York) (Candidate for both courts)
10:00 a.m. Court of Appeals of Virginia
- Paul K. Campsen (Norfolk)
- Judge Richard E. Gardiner (Fairfax)
- Judge Gary A. Hicks (Henrico)
- Judge Christopher W. Hutton (Hampton)
- Maureen R. Matsen (Richmond)
- Judge Stacey W. Moreau (Pittsylvania)
- Patricia P. Nagel (Williamsburg)
- Judge Mary Grace O’Brien (Prince William County)
- Elwood Earl Sanders Jr. (Hanover)
- Judge Josiah T. Showalter (Montgomery County)
- Judge Robert J. Smith (Fairfax)
- Virginia B. Theisen (Chesterfield)
- Judge Colleen K. Killilea (James City County)
Already interviewed were:
- Court of Appeals Judge D. Arthur Kelsey
- York County Circuit Judge Richard Y. AtLee Jr.
- Wise County Circuit Judge Chadwick S. Dotson
- Fairfax County Circuit Judge Lorraine Nordlund
- Former Deputy Attorney General Wesley G. Russell Jr.