(AP) The Supreme Court of Virginia has denied a hospital’s request to allow it to immediately perform a test to determine whether a 2-year-old who choked on a piece of popcorn is brain dead.
The court Friday denied a petition from Virginia Commonwealth University Health System, which wants to perform an apnea test on Mirranda Grace Lawson. Mirranda’s family has refused to allow it.
The Richmond Circuit Court ruled against the Lawsons last month but allowed them to pay a $30,000 bond barring the hospital from conducting the test while they appealed to the Virginia Supreme Court.
The hospital asked the Supreme Court to throw out the circuit court’s bond order. The justices did not explain why they rejected the hospital’s petition.
The Lawsons’ appeal is due to the Supreme Court in September.