The Virginia Bar Association and other bar groups will participate in the evaluation of candidates for the seat of retiring U.S. District Judge Gerald Bruce Lee.
U.S. Sens. Mark Warner and Tim Kaine have invited Virginia bar groups to evaluate candidates and provide their findings by Oct. 15.
The VBA’s Committee on Federal Judgeships – Eastern District will evaluate judicial candidates seeking to succeed Lee. Candidates seeking the VBA’s evaluation – no interviews are held – should forward the following materials electronically by Sept. 20 to VBA Executive Director Yvonne McGhee at email@example.com:
- A letter requesting the VBA’s recommendation.
- A copy of his/her completed Virginia State Bar judicial questionnaire. [Downloadable Word document]
- A personal résumé.
- One or more writing samples of judicial opinions, legal briefs or law review articles written by the candidate that the candidate believes will assist the committee.
- Any other written materials the candidate believes will assist the committee.
- Any other materials the committee requests.
Additionally, the senators require candidates to submit a separate questionnaire by Sept. 29.
At the VBA, the committee’s findings will be conveyed to association officers and, once the candidates have been notified of the findings, the executive director will notify the senators of VBA-recommended candidates. The senators expect to recommend nominees to President Trump this fall.
The VSB has a list of other bar organizations that evaluate judicial candidates. Some conduct interviews and others do not. VSB staff member Asha Holloman can answer questions from candidates at firstname.lastname@example.org or (804) 775-0551.
Lee is retiring Sept. 30.