Virginia’s two U.S. senators, Mark Warner and Tim Kaine, are now accepting applications for the federal judgeship in the Eastern District that will become vacant June 1, when U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson takes senior status.
Application instructions are available at Warner’s website, https://www.warner.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=eastern-district-judicial-vacancy
The deadline to apply is May 18.
Warner and Kaine say they will assemble a panel of lawyers to review all applications and interview qualified candidates.
The senators also asked the Virginia State Bar to evaluate candidates.
Candidates who would like to be evaluated by the VSB must submit to the VSB on or before 4 p.m. on May 18 a résumé, a brief writing sample, and responses to a questionnaire (Word document) available on the Virginia State Bar website. Submissions should be sent electronically (Word document) to: JudicialEval@vsb.org, and the original questionnaire also should be submitted by mail.
Interviews of candidates by the VSB and other bar organizations are scheduled to take place on June 27.
- A letter requesting the VBA’s recommendation.
- A copy of his/her completed Virginia State Bar judicial questionnaire. [Downloadable Word document]
- A resume.
- One or more brief writing samples of judicial opinions, legal briefs, or law review articles written by the candidate that the candidate believes will assist the committee’s evaluation.
- Any other written materials the candidate believes will assist the committee.
- Any other materials the committee requests.
The VBA committee’s findings will be conveyed to association officers and, once the candidates have been notified of the findings, the executive director will notify the senators of VBA-recommended candidates.
The senators will use their panel’s recommendations, along with bar input, to arrive at potential nominees to send to President Trump.
Trump’s nomination is subject to consideration by the Senate Judiciary Committee and a vote by the full Senate.
Updated April 29 to add VSB information and May 2 to add VBA information.