Having trouble keeping up with the 4th Circuit’s binding precedent? The Op Shop is here to help, with the court’s published opinions paraphrased to the size of a haiku poem. This edition covers recent Fourth Amendment rulings.
Bags full of gun parts
Justified forensic search
Of a smuggler’s phone.
– United States v. Kolsuz (May 18, 2018)
To suppress statements
In civil deportations,
Show “egregious” acts.
– Sanchez v. Sessions (Mar. 27, 2018)
Forget the warrant:
Compelled masturbation was
– Sims v. Labowitz (Mar. 14, 2018)
ANYONE might drive
Used cars, with spare clothes and food.
At night. Nervously.
– United States v. Bowman (Mar. 1, 2018)
Who pose no objective threat
Is excessive force.
– E.W. v. Dolgos (Feb. 12, 2018)
With a search warrant
Issued in good faith, the state
Can probe the dark web.
– United States v. McLamb (Jan. 25, 2018)