Having trouble keeping up with the 4th Circuit’s binding precedent? The Op Shop is here to help, with the court’s published opinions paraphrased to the size of a haiku poem. This edition covers recent rulings in the area of labor & employment law.
Don’t guarantee equal pay.
Convince a jury.
– EEOC v. Maryland Ins. Admin., Jan. 5, 2018
Agreement or no,
Lodging as wages must meet
Fair labor standards.
– Balbed v. Eden Park Guest House LLC, Jan. 25, 2018
How presumptions work:
Unless employer DISproves,
Coal dust caused black lung.
– W.V. Coal Workers’ Pneumoconiosis Fund v. DOL Office of Workers’ Comp. Programs, Jan. 26, 2018
Officers fired for
“Disrespectful” texts deserved
– Cannon v. Village of Bald Head Island, N.C., May 30, 2018
Gross comments were well outside
The scope of his job.
– Garnett v. Remedi Seniorcare of Va. LLC, June 11, 2018
You’d avoid a boss
Who scrutinized restroom trips
And how your jeans fit.
– Strothers v. City of Laurel, Md., July 6, 2018
Who read racial slurs aloud
Was doing his job.
– Savage v. Maryland, July 13, 2018
Each wrongly-fired cop
Was a distinct “claim” as to
– Hunter v. Town of Mocksville, July 26, 2018