Quantcast
Home / News in Brief / High school student sued for activating hotel sprinkler

High school student sued for activating hotel sprinkler

DUMFRIES (AP) A hotel’s insurance company has sued a Virginia Beach high school student it claims caused more than $690,000 in damage by activating a sprinkler inside one of its rooms.

Landstown High School senior Cade Anderson stayed at the hotel in Dumfries on Oct. 20, 2017, ahead of a junior ROTC drill competition the next day, The Virginian-Pilot reported.

Anderson’s attorney, Rick Matthews, says his client hung his uniform on a sprinkler to properly affix all of the ribbons and medals. When he took the uniform down, the sprinkler activated.

Prince William County Assistant Fire Chief Matt Smolsky said 10 rooms, the hotel’s kitchen and dining area flooded. Anderson’s room was on the fourth floor.

Anderson’s father’s homeowner’s insurance is paying for his defense, but the company is asking a federal judge to rule it owes no coverage for the accident.

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.