Leaders in the Law and Up & Coming Lawyers
This October, Virginia Lawyers Weekly will honor its annual class of lawyers who are setting the standard for other lawyers with the Leaders in the Law awards program. We plan to recognize attorneys and professionals in law-related fields who have a significant accomplishment or achievement.
These include outstanding contributions to the practice of law in Virginia, significant achievements through the practice of law, leadership in improving the justice system and important contributions to Virginia’s legal community and/or the community at large.
In addition, Up & Coming Lawyers will also be recognized. These are legal practitioners who are establishing a name for themselves, go above and beyond, and display the ambition, drive, determination and accomplishments that set them apart among their peers — in their first 10 years in practice.
2018 classes announced!
Virginia Lawyers Media, the publisher of Virginia Lawyers Weekly, has announced the 2018 classes of “Leaders in the Law” and “Up & Coming Lawyers.”
Now in its 13th year, the “Leaders in the Law” awards program recognizes the lawyers across the commonwealth who are setting the standard for other lawyers in Virginia. “Leaders” are recognized for changing the law, serving the community, changing practice or improving Virginia’s justice system, among other accomplishments.
The Class of 2018 honorees are:
- Nupur Sidhu Bal, DeFazio Bal PC, Glen Allen
- Polly Chong, The Law Office of Polly Chong, Newport News
- Martin A. Conn, Moran Reeves Conn PC, Richmond
- Craig B. Davis, Reinhardt Harper Davis PLC, Richmond
- Robert B. “Chip” Delano, Sands Anderson, Richmond
- Marla J. Diaz, Whiteford Taylor Preston LLP, Falls Church
- Humes J.“Tripp” Franklin III, Wharton, Aldhizer & Weaver PLC, Staunton
- Erik Gustafson, LeClairRyan PLLC, Alexandria
- Catherine C. Hammond (ret.), Juridical Solutions, Richmond
- Chidi I. James, Blankingship & Keith, Fairfax
- Michael P. Lafayette, Lafayette, Ayers & Whitlock PLC, Glen Allen
- Matthew W. Lee, Wilson Elser, McLean
- David Ludwig, Dunlap, Bennett & Ludwig, Leesburg
- Brett Marston, Gentry Locke, Roanoke
- Channing J. Martin, Williams Mullen, Richmond
- James M. McCauley, Virginia State Bar, Richmond
- C Kailani Memmer, Glenn Robinson Cathey Memmer & Skaff PLC, Roanoke
- Mary Burkey Owens, Owen & Owens PLC, Midlothian
- Randall S. Parks, Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP, Richmond
- Nancy G. Parr, Commonwealth’s Attorney, Chesapeake
- Joanna L. Suyes, Marks & Harrison, Richmond
- Kelly A. Thompson, Thompson Wildhack PLC, Arlington
- Anthony F. Troy, Eckert Seamans, Richmond
- Marie Washington, Law Office of Marie Washington, Warrenton
- Carl J. Witmeyer II, Witmeyer Law Firm, Ashland
Up & Coming
The “Up & Coming Lawyers” awards program, now in its third year, recognizes lawyers across the commonwealth who are making their mark within their first 10 years of practice. These are the lawyers who are the leaders of the profession in the future.
The members of the Class of 2018 are:
- Wesley D. Allen, Blankingship & Keith PC, Fairfax
- Erik D. Baines, Barnes & Diehl PC, Richmond
- David G. Boyce, Sands Anderson, Richmond
- Veronica D. Brown-Mosley, Boleman Law Firm, Richmond
- Lindsay C. Brubaker, BotkinRose PLC, Harrisonburg
- Mayme Beth F. Donohue, Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP, Richmond
- Christin L. Georgelas, Beckman Schmalzie Georgelas & Ross, Leesburg
- Andrew S. Gerrish, Frith Anderson + Peake PC, Roanoke
- Kristen R. Jurjevich, Pender & Coward PC, Virginia Beach
- Katie Lipp, Berenzweig Leonard LLP, McLean
- Preston Lloyd Jr., Williams Mullen, Richmond
- Joel R. McClellan, Marks & Harrison, Richmond
- Matthew R. McGuire, Office of the Attorney General, Richmond
- Heather Scott Miller, Sevilla Saunders Huddleston & White, Leesburg
- Michael A. Nicholas, Daniel, Medley & Kirby PC, Danville
- Jeffrey S. Palmore, Reed Smith LLP, Richmond
- Michael D. Pierce, Vandeventer Black LLP, Norfolk
- Kim Rolla, Legal Aid Justice Center, Richmond
- William W. Sleeth III, LeClairRyan PLLC, Williamsburg
- Timothy J. St. George, Troutman Sanders LLP, Richmond
- Daniel R. Sullivan, Gentry Locke, Roanoke
- Michael P. Tittermary, Witmeyer Law Firm, Ashland
The honorees in both programs will be celebrated at a reception on Oct. 25 at the John Marshall Hotel in Richmond.
The “Leader of the Year,” voted on by the Class of 2018 Leaders themselves, will be announced at this reception.
Each honoree also will be profiled in a special supplement that will be distributed at the event and inserted into Virginia Lawyers Weekly in late October.