Retired Arlington Judge Charles H. Duff, an original member of the Court of Appeals of Virginia, died Feb. 7. He was 95.
Born in Houston, Judge Duff grew up in Richmond, where he attended Benedictine High School. In 1943, Judge Duff fought in World War II and became a commissioned officer in the U.S. Army, stationed in the Philippines. He graduated from Virginia Military Institute in 1945.
After the war, Judge Duff earned his law degree at Georgetown University. In 1954, he began his legal career as an associate with Jesse, Phillips Kling & Kendrick in Arlington. He started his own law firm in Arlington just a few years later with a focus on insurance defense law.
In 1972, Gov. Linwood Holton appointed him a judge on the Arlington Circuit Court. When the Court of Appeals was started in 1985, the judge was appointed by Gov. Charles Robb to be one of the original 10 judges of the new court. Judge Duff retired from the court in 2000.
Judge Duff was predeceased by his wife of 67 years, Jean Marie Kelleher, and his son Edward. He is survived by his daughter, Annie; his sons, Charles and David; and many grandchildren and great grandchildren.