The plaintiff, a 40-year-old man at the time of the incident, was riding his motorcycle through an intersection with the right of way. The defendant was traveling in the opposite direction when he made a left turn across the plaintiff’s lane of travel resulting in a collision.
Appellant women’s clinic did not show that a defendant’s absence from a medical malpractice trial created sufficient prejudice to warrant a mistrial. The clinic’s “argument ignores the impact of the circuit court’s repeated instructions to the jury not to ‘make any assumptions or draw any inference due to [the defendant’s] absence.’” The circuit court correctly […]
Where plaintiff’s decedent fell and later died from his injuries after he leaned on an unlocked ultrasound stretcher at appellant hospital, hearsay evidence of the decedent’s explanations of how the fall occurred was properly admitted under Virginia’s Dead Man’s Statute. The incident The decedent, Fr. Rogakos, was an 86-year-old Greek Orthodox priest who had trouble […]
The plaintiff was a 66-year-old male driver struck by an out-of-state driver. The defendant was in Virginia for work and was working within the scope of his employment at the time of the crash.
A trial judge made no error dismissing a plaintiff’s refiled personal injury action against a deceased defendant who was represented by an insurer acting in her name, the Court of Appeals of Virginia ruled.
The plaintiff was living in 300-unit garden apartment complex in Richmond for more than three years. There were water intrusion issues throughout his tenancy that were poorly addressed by maintenance.
Type of action: Personal injury, auto accident Injuries alleged: Trauma to head/body, fractured femur requiring hardware procedure and multiple procedures Tried before: Mediation Name of judge or mediator: Judge David B. Carson Date resolved: 6/2/2023 Special damages: $227,169.94 in past medical expenses Verdict or settlement: Settlement Amount: $750,000 Attorneys for plaintiff: James “Jim” W.[...]
Type of action: Personal injury Injuries alleged: ACL and MCL tear, requiring surgery and physical therapy Name of case: Catlin v. Todt Court: Prince Edward Circuit Court Case no.: CL22-82 Tried before: Jury Name of judge or mediator: Judge Donald Carl Blessing Date resolved: 6/14/2023 Special damages: Medical expenses of $47,691.44 Demand: $200,000 Offer: $125,000 […]
On Oct. 7, 2020, the defendant left his disabled Ford F-350 work truck protruding into the westbound travel lane of White Oak Road (Route 218) in Stafford County, a dimly lit roadway, during the night, without any warning or hazard lights activated.
The defendant’s pickup truck crashed into the plaintiff as she pulled forward from a stoplight. A surveillance video captured the accident, but it did not capture the light for either party. However, moments before the crash a faint yellow glow was briefly visible from another light at the intersection.
Type of action: Personal injury Injuries alleged: Right arm displaced spiral fracture Name of case: Jackson v. Heflin Date resolved: 3/16/2023 Special damages: $63,893.94 Demand: $300,000 Offer: $285,000 Verdict or settlement: Settlement Amount: $285,000 Attorney for plaintiff: Emily E. Smith, Fredericksburg Description of case: On May 6, 2022, the plaintiff was a passenger in a […]
Where appellee was injured in a vehicle crash, the trial court properly excluded an examining doctor’s deposition because the doctor violated the court’s order imposing limitations on what he could ask appellee, and by referring to the Rule 4:10 medical examination as an independent medical examination. Multi-vehicle crash Layton was injured when Elze hit the […]
- Woodshop incident leads to amputation of fingers — $1.3M settlement
- Motorcyclist’s foot amputated in collision — $7M settlement
- Contractor rear-ended on interstate on way to wedding — $825,000 settlement
- Man suffers back injury in crash with out-of-state driver — $530,000 settlement
- Driver crossed center line, struck 89-year-old’s vehicle — $1.2M settlement
- Jury returns defense verdict in favor of gastroenterologist
- Teens killed in T-bone collision with officer — $3.1M settlement
- Man sustained subdural hematoma in rear-end collision —$1.15M settlement
- Adequate anesthesia not provided during C-section — $2.5M verdict
- Tenant fell ill from mold in apartment — $588,000 verdict
- Woman suffers nerve injury, pain after dental procedure — $550,000 settlement
- Driver struck child exiting school bus — $750,000 settlement
- Suit over historic mansion and estate dismissed
- Former employee’s claims survive motion to dismiss
- Equal Pay Act doesn’t apply to applicant
- Court rejects invocation of attorney-client privilege
- Evidence supported competency determination
- Appellees had power to remove business manager
- No continuance after witnesses failed to appear
- No actual or constructive eviction in warranty case
- Gas distribution pipeline exempt from ZBA regulation
- Improper venue in air pollution regulation matter
- No benefits awarded in unemployment comp case
- No immunity for judge who personally oversaw search